Rules of the annexation in arabic grammar
The noun phrase simply consists in juxtaposing the two nouns, without using any link word.
- A cup of coffee –> فنجان قهوة
- The teacher’s book -> كتاب المعلِّم
It is usually agreed that the I (or tâ marbûta) will not be voiced in the feminine words. Yet when the first element of the annexation is itself in the feminine this letter will be heard :
- University –> Jâmi’a –> جامعة
- Beyruth’s university –> Jâmi’at Beyruth –> جامعة بيروة
A certain number of rules are to be applied when you use an annexation:
– the first element never takes an article, nor the tanwin
– the second element (namely the noun phrase) is in the indirect case.
Examples : A history book كتاب تاريخ The history book كتاب التاريخ
Note that : – whenever the noun is determined, the article is used with the second element. – an annexation can involve more than two elements Example :
- The teacher’s sister’s daughter –>بنت أخت المعلَم
- In such a case the last element –>معلم is the one to take the article